229 Chibok Schoolgirls Still Missing 2 Years On After Kidnapping

August 30, 2016

 

Back in April 2014, 273 female students were kidnapped from a secondary school in Chibok, Nigeria. Responsibility for the kidnappings was claimed by the Islamist militant group the Boko Haram. Although an estimated 57 girls managed to escape early on in the initial process, there are still over 200 girls that remain missing. 

 

So far, three videos have been released, appearing to contain footage of the missing girls.

In May 2014, the Boko Haram released a video depicting around 130 girls gathered together reciting the Quran and in April this year (approximately 2 years after the kidnapping) the CNN broadcast a video appearing to show some of the girls alive. The most recent footage was released August 14th 2016 and showed “around 50 of the girls, and contained a demand for the release of imprisoned militants in exchange for them”.  

 

Efforts to find the girls include a regional force of 8,700 troops which was launched in July 2016. In regards to negotiation options, Nigerian president Muhammadu Buhari has said, “he is prepared to enter into talks if a credible Boko Haram leadership can be identified. The group is said to have split over allegiance to so-called Islamic State”.

 

As we near the 900th day since the school girls were kidnapped, campaign group Bring Back Our Girls urges everyone to continue to march and rally. Follow their campaign on twitter at @BBOG_Nigeria

 

 

Read more here

 

And here

Please reload

Featured Posts

Crowd Sourcing Improving Africa's Maps

November 7, 2016

1/10
Please reload

Recent Posts

February 9, 2017

Please reload

Archive
Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload

Follow Us